Saturday 17 August 2013

Resistance is NOT futile

Anyone who has a trekkie background will get that joke.

So...tonight I found myself in my usual habits. Arrive home somewhat late...and right before bed grab a snack. Nutritionists around the world can tell you that eating 1-2 hours before bed helps you gain unhealthy fat.

And this habit of mine...of eating something rather bad for me right before bed....is a terrible one.

So tonight, I reminded myself of this. And before making a wolfing down of 4 graham crackers with peanut butter, I reminded myself of good eating habits. Habits that lead to a healthy body and mind.

And I resisted.

And it wasn't futile.

And now I'm upstairs, on my computer and getting ready to sleep away a great night with said snack not in my belly. Yes...I'm still a bit peckish. But I'll be thankful I didn't cave into that craving later.

And...as with almost everything I do...I reflected on how that little thing could be used in my classroom practice.

In this situation, the resisting of impulsive urges applied. As teachers we can be quick to anger sometimes. It's an impulsive urge to want to yell at our kids sometimes. And this can create a poor classroom environment.

So, much like I did tonight, we need to see our "teaching urges" as the emotionally charged moments they are...and resist them. So we can make a more secure, and focussed classroom. And create an environment that is well thought out. We need to be that example for our kids. Show them what it is to resist urges. And do it.

21C learning is no different. We also jump immediately to think "how can this be done on the screen"...well...sometimes it doesn't need to be. Sometimes, during a task, a more tactile method is needed. Sometimes we need to be more patient and think how we can do a lesson creatively on and off the screen. Because that produces some amazing results.

And the reality is...despite popular trends...not every kid loves screen time. Some kids are so tactile they want to be left off the screen and work with their hands.

So, we shouldn't jump to the urge of "must do screen work"...to... "will my kids learn more, and engage more with a tool on the computer/mobile device?"

Just some thoughts for the night.

And a cool link to go see:

Games to build security in the classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment