Thursday 15 August 2013

Bringing out the weird.

In my spare time I like to pop around the internets and look at various videos and things for either my students to see, or just for my own amusement (thank you buzzfeed video for amusing me many a time).  Everyone does this.



And now and again I run across something really poignant or important, or excellent, but the content isn't quite right for kids to watch.

For example,  in the past few weeks I've run across a lot of Zefrank's stuff. In particular are his "Human Tests"






These are prime examples of things that I would love to use in the classroom, but simply can't due to various content reasons. There is a third volume, but it's intro picture is one that I can't really show on this site in case some kids are watching. Ask me about it sometime though, it's great. 

The Human Test Volume 1 and 2 are things that I would love to use in the classroom because they address the things that no one really thinks are normal but really are. For example, making weird noises out loud while thinking of embarassing things (yes...I've done that from time to time), or wishing a certain moment in time had an "undo" button (done that too). 

Really, there are a lot of things that we
  • think
  • do
  • feel 
  • know happen to us 
that we think are
  • too shameful 
  • embarrassing
  • weird 
so we don't mention them because we think they just apply to us, and no one else is doing the same. When in reality, they apply to a lot of people. And a lot of people would feel comforted if they simply knew that other people did them too.

Well, I'll bet our kids are thinking the exact same thing. I'll bet they've had thoughts, do little "quirky" things, get excited about certain games, apps, or toys that they think no one else does and keep it bottled up because no one has bothered to tell them that other people do it too. And they feel ashamed of those feelings

The kicker is...It's o.k. to think, do, feel, and know this happens because it's normal, good and fun. Because the excitement they feel is shared. Because the "weird" they feel is shared. Because the embarrassment they feel is shared.

And if they simply acknowledged it to each other, they would connect. They wouldn't feel the same, or hide it. Because others are there to support them. They wouldn't keep it internal. Because it would no longer be 
  • too shameful
  • embarrassing
  • weird
So, maybe a "kid test" is needed. Maybe there are certain things that we need to put in it, to show our kids. So they can grow to their fullest potential. And be the best "me" they can be.

Because when they hear other people are doing/feeling the same things, they join in. Feel comforted.

And this is part of making a secure, inviting, and open classroom. 

To bring out the "weird"...because it's really not.

No comments:

Post a Comment