Friday 2 August 2013

Reflections on the days of future past

Today was an amusing day. I had my normal summer routine of waking up when I didn't want to, went to yoga, then the gym. Today though, I took my nephews to see a movie; They're 3 and 5.  I also took my brother's little boy to the park this week too. He's 1 1/2 years old.

Normally, this isn't a significant thing, except that it caused me to pause and reflect on who took me to movies/out & about when I was a kid. I remember, fondly,  my Aunt Ruby. She was a lovely woman who, on every birthday would take me out to lunch, and then we'd go to Zellers and get a toy of my choice. I remember these moments and loving her, not for the fact that she was buying me a toy, or that she let me sit in the front seat of her car (where I couldn't touch the floor, but was fascinated by the view, rush of the traffic and all the buttons on the dashboard), but for the very idea that I knew she loved me. I knew that with her always.  She was single. Never married. Never had kids. Similar to me at this point in life, though I do want to have a family, kids, etc. She passed away around 15 years ago, around the age of 80, but I still find my heart warmed in remembering her, all the times spent at her house, and with her around my birthdays.

And I find myself smiling.

Shortly after I got home, I was putting away a tie to take back with me to Doha (which isn't a shock to most people who know who I am), and found a small box. I didn't rummage through it a lot, but I didn notice my father's Boy Scouts Registration card from 1960. Wow! What a find. I looked a little bit more through the box, but didn't pick up anything. It simply caught me in a reflective moment.

And I found myself smiling then too; and reflecting.

So now, sitting at this chair I'm thinking about the little things that my nephews may remember. Will they remember going to see Despicable Me 2 in the Theaters when they were young.  Will Liam remember cuddling with me during the end of the movie during the scary parts (as scary goes for a 3 year old)? or Fin remembering the games we played in the Arcade after the movie?

Will Samuel remember being taken to the park to feed ducks, throw rocks in the pond, and singing in the car there and back (he's 1 1/2, I have my doubts about that one)?

Does my father remember getting that card from Scouts 50 years ago?

And another pause.

What will my students remember about me? Will they remember me being a strict/mean teacher? A fun one? One who met them at their needs, or bored them to tears? Will they pause to reflect on their old teachers when they're older?

I think it's my responsibility to make my students have one of the most memorable years of their lives. I know they all won't, but I know I have to try. To be the reluctant leader of the 23 small 8-9 year old minds I will encounter next year. To encourage their creativity, and remember Mr. Harnett as being someone who met them where they were. Challenged them, and caused them to reflect when they were 30 about their lives.

I just hope I can do it again this year, if I have done it at all.

Because, as far as good teachers go, we always wonder just how we're impacting our students and hoping we're doing our best.

So, now, at my home in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada, I am thinking about the days of future past...and doing things to hopefully make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment