Monday 5 August 2013

Picking up My Mantle

So...as most people know...I'm a single, male elementary school teacher with no children. It's not that I don't want to have children...I really do actually...but I don't consider it a downfall to be single at 32.

It's a common question from parents, friends, family, etc about when I'm going to find someone special, settle down, and maybe have a few little Andy's floating around. Much of this I have little control over by the way.

For the record...and for those who know me...I don't actually mind the nickname "Andy" as much as I let on.

But I digress

I was recently made aware of a recent Time Magazine article entitled


"Having It All Without Having Children"


Though this article is more directed at many womens' choice not to have kids, it did cause me to think about my current place in life. As a teacher of young children, uncle, brother, son and friend. 

And I love that position in life.

Don't get me wrong, I would also love to be married and have a family of my own, but I haven't been afforded that opportunity yet.

So, where does that put me when I'm away from my 4 nephews, brother, sister, brother in law, sister in law and parents? When I'm in Doha teaching.

Well...to put it simply...it affords me flexibility. 

On any given day I do not have to worry about staying home and being with a sick child, arranging a nanny/childcare, buy 3X the amount of food (or thereabouts), or any other myriad of extra things that go along with being a family man. 

So, without sounding like an arrogant, bragging human being...I'll clarify. By having the opportunity this late in life I can do things like work longer hours, get involved in more committees and extra curricular activities at work, go in on the weekends for extended hours if I need to, come home late when necessary, go to Yoga or the gym when I want, and much more.

It also gives me a lot of time to think about my 23 kids I see everyday, as I don't need to worry about the one in the next room. I have the time to devote to it...so I try and do it. I fail a lot, but I at least try.

And so, I don't think being single at 32 is a detriment. It's a blessing. Fully, completely, wholly. Each person in this world has a position to take up at the stage their life is in. Some are recently married and have small children, others have teenagers that require almost as much attention as the small children (so I've heard)...and still others are an age where their children are grown up. All of these stages are necessary components to make a society work.

So, I embrace my position as the guy who can work long hours and not be bothered. As one who can take on the extra workload, simply because he can. 

I'm not bragging at all. I'm just thinking. And am thankful that I know so many loving, caring, wonderful parents out there who are raising tomorrow's future right now. I'm also thankful for the other single people out there who are working hard, and being flexible, and thankful, for their place in life.

If we haven't embraced where we are, and are woeful about where we "should've been", we're probably doing a disservice to those who need us. To those who need us to pick up the mantle that we may not want to hold high. But the thing is, when we do pick it up, no matter what type of mantle it is, everyone, including ourselves, shines brighter, works better and is more loving. 

So...with many smiles, this is me, trying to pick up my mantle.

Mr. Harnett


No comments:

Post a Comment