Tuesday 16 July 2013

21C Learning?

Hey All!

I've had a lot on my mind regarding what to write about in my latest post and how to generate more conversations on this website...more importantly though, I've been thinking about how we can get buy in on teacher's ends for 21C learning. I have a lot of co-workers who have a hard time buying in on 21C learning, simply because the "old ways" are the better ways. I'll readily agree that the old ways are good. I still like writing things down and often "misplace" my files in my computer. i.e. they get lost in the mix. I also find that redoing things year after year in education has lead me to having an overload of files that almost seem unmanageable.

As a result, I was reading some stuff about buy-in.

I read the below from http://www.21stcenturycollaborative.com/2013/03/poll-why-do-good-ideas-about-teaching-and-learning-have-so-little-impact-on-educational-practice/:


  • Tracy Rosen: And I still maintain that blaming teachers for resistance to change when it is mandated upon them is like saying students are resistant to learning. If you want to look at theory, look at participatory change theories, appreciative inquiry… Btw, Collins also says that one of the main indicators for moving from good to great is that an organization chooses one thing that they are good at and focuses on that, which goes back to my original comment above re: the revolving door of good ideas for change in education. - See more at: http://www.21stcenturycollaborative.com/2013/03/poll-why-do-good-ideas-about-teaching-and-learning-have-so-little-impact-on-educational-practice/#sthash.zfQymwtY.dpuf


I think this leads us to wonder why big schools tend to try to do a lot, rather than focussing on doing one thing really well. At my school we recently focussed on the New Zealand Maths project a lot, and in my opinion, it worked. We seem to be a more focussed, knowledgeable school in Maths as we have something to ground ourselves in.

I think this is where the buy-in takes place. You need something solid to ground yourself in. A structure. A foundation. And I think this is often where 21C learning is lacking. 21C Learning tools are simply that. Tools. To learn. The problem is, they're very often not a foundation. Or at least I thought this way the case.

When you think about it, the googledrive can be a foundation for the 21C learning of a school. I know that it has problems, but these days what doesn't. It's not prefect, but it's a go-to place for kids to learn. 

I'll get into this more as I think about it.

That's all.

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment